The B2 Spirit is a multi role bomber capable of carrying conventional and nuclear munitions. The unique stealth capabilities allow these aircraft to penetrate the most advanced enemy defense systems. The sophisticated defensive systems make it very difficult to detect, track and engage this aircraft. Each operational B-2 is named after a state. The B-2 carries a crew of 2 pilots. The B1B had a crew of 4, the B52 had a crew of 5. This plane was developed initially in 1981 by the USAF. The first flight of the B-2 was July 17,1989.
Specifications for the B2 Spirit Airplane:
- Engines - 4 GE F-118-GE-100
- Range - Intercont.(unfurled)
- Thrust - 17,300 lb ea. engine
- Prime contractor-Northrop
- Length - 69 ft.
- Grumman Military Aircraft Systems
- Height - 17 ft.
- Wingspan - 172 ft.
- Other key members of team: Boeing Military Airplanes Co.
- Speed - High subsonic
- Ceiling - 50,000 ft.
- Hughes Radar Systems Grp.
- GE Aircraft Engine Grp.
8 GBU 27
16 B83 16MK84
16AGM-129 ACM 36 CBU87 8 AGM-154
16AGM-131 SRAM 2 36 CBU89 8 AGM-137
The B2 Spirit is a versatile modern day aircraft.