Pictured here is a British Spitfire airplane designed in the l930’s and began flying in early March 1936. Over a period of time this aircraft was modified and improved many times. During WWII the Spitfire proved itself a match for the German Messerschmitt BF109 as it was refitted with a metal propeller, a Merlin type 2 or 3 1030 hp engine and armament of eight 303 machine guns in the wings. This aircraft series was subdivided into MkIa & MKIb depending on the armament. (Article continued below)
Models of this British Spitfire are in stock at the Armed Forces History Museum in Largo, FL.
Note: Shipping for this item is for continental United States only. Please call our museum store at (727) 539-8371 ext. 101 or email email@example.com
Model Specifications for the British Spitfire:
- Manufacturer: In Air®, EZ Build Model™
- Skill Level 1
- Scale: 1:72
- Model Length: 7 ½ inches (approx.)
- Model Wingspan: 9 inches (approx.)
- The British Spitfire model comes complete with everything you need including a display stand for viewing and/or collecting. It is not intended as a toy.
- Warning: This model and is not recommended for children under the age of 3 (or any child prone to swallowing small parts.)
(Article continued from above)
The MKIb had 4 x 30’s and 2 x 20 mm cannon. Subsequent Spitfire designs resulted in the MKV Spitfire series – MKVa, MKVb, MKIX, MKXVI, MKV III and the Griffon Spitfire MKXII, MKXIV. The Griffon series had significantly over 2000 hp and capable of speeds of over 400 mph.
Specifications for the MKIa and MK9 Fighter Planes
Engine-Rolls Royce Merlin , 2V-12, 1020 hp
Top Speed 346 mph @ med altitude
Weapons-8X Browning 303 mg
Engine: Rolls Royce Merlin, 61V-12, 1565 hp
Top Speed 408 mph @ med. Altitude
2 x Hispano 20 mm cann.
4 x Browning 303mg